Pain similar to sprain on the foot, prominent when inactive. Had bruised the foot due to injury. What could it be?

In January a door got opened over my foot and it was bruised to the touch for a long time (Weeks, maybe months). Area is the 5th metatarsal, about an inch forward of my ankle, on my right foot. It seemed to be better for hte most part, until I got back into running recently. Now it seems to hurt more and more, but the pain is more like that of a sprain than a broken bone (Stingy, and tight, rather than the achy sharp pain of a broken bone.. i ve had my share of those as a kid). I ve noticed it hurts more when I ve been inactive and start moving again, like first thing in the morning, which leads me to believe it is somehow strained or sprained vs fractured, but I d love a professional opinion! oh, and i m a 30 y/o female.
Asked On : Wed, 25 Jul 2012