Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
Based on the description, you could have suffered a lumbar disc prolapse
causing compression over the nerve root
producing pain in the entire leg.
The initial management of your problem will be as follows -
* avoid lifting heavy weights as it imparts more strain on your back
* avoid forward bending activities as it will worsen the disc protrusion
* Use a lumbosacral back support to augment your spinal muscles
* Intermittent pelvic traction to cause a regression of disc
* Maintain optimum body weight,if you are obese
to strengthen your back muscles. Physiotherapy has to be done only after the acute pain has subsided.
* Judicious use of analgesics and muscle relaxants.
If your symptoms are not resolving with the above measures, an MRI
scan is needed to know the exact problem in the lumbar spine
Hope this information is helpful. Good day