Pain radiating from head to spine after sleeping, lying down, headaches. Treatment?

Since childhood I have experienced pain radiating from the top of my head to mid spine when bending my head forward after sleeping or lying for prolonged periods. It feels as if someone is trying to pull my spine out through the top of my head. It usually resolves upon becoming active. If not stretching helps. As I have gotten older (i am now 50) I am frequently left with headaches from remaining tension . Any ideas?
Asked On : Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms and feel that you need to be evaluated by a neurologist.

We need to exclude a disease in the cervical spine (neck region) by doing a spine MRI. This is because nerve fibre tract (posterior columns) if affected, can lead to similar symptoms.

In addition, a co-existing migraine should also be excluded.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: