Pain localized to the lateral area of the foot, in front of the ankle, pain increases on abduction. Podiatrist advice required?

I have a question regarding my foot . I hurt the lateral area of my foot, the pain is localized, the pain is located on the lateral aspect of my right foot near the cuboid bone or infront of my ankle, it hurts more when i abduct it or when I walk on it, it started yesterday when I was putting on my shoe or when I was running, should I go to a family doctor first and ask them to refer me to a podiatrist?
Asked On : Wed, 13 Jun 2012