Pain in upper outer calves, mainly in right calf, worse on running, doing lunges. Will icing and rest relieve my pain?

I have pain in my upper-outer calf , both of them, but mainly the right. It gets worse the longer I run and when I do lunges . I am a long distance runner and average around 10 mi/day. I have recently been running hills. Could this be anything serious or can I just ice and rest it and hope it will go away? I leave for basic military training in 2 weeks.
Asked On : Sun, 17 Jun 2012
Hello sir

You do not need to worry about these pains, as long as they are not radiating towards your feet. Most probably this is due to your recent running of hills. Take plenty of fluids. Use warm compresses in the morning and ice at night. This will help relaxing the muscles.

Keep well hydrated while you are exercising and use a fluid which replaces body salts. sometimes muscles can cramp due the lack of electrolytes in the body. I do not suggest that you take complete bed rest specially with military training coming up. I would just suggest that you take it easy for a week for your body to recover, and increase the intensity gradually. And take special care of your diet.

Take care of yourself.

Thank you