Pain in thump while popping. Swollen and sore joint. How to get relief?

my right thumb has been popping and snapping at the joint for about a year. Yesterday I felt a sharp pain when I wiggled the thumb to pop it and a deep crevice ensued and a pop occurred in the joint. There is now a small pebble/pea just to the outside of the joint and it is very sore, only slightly swollen. I have immobilized it with a splint to reduce the throbbing associated with movements.
Asked On : Fri, 20 Jul 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I think you have sustained a soft tissue injury. I would suggest you to take tablet Brufen for pain relief and along with that you should also apply Diclofenac ointment and Ice application. Avoid doing any undue movements.