Pain in thigh, burning sensation. Applied heat, took painkillers. Temporary relief. Suggestions?

Two days ago I had a mild pain in my left thigh (from knee to hip) It gradually developed into further spasmodic pain and a burning sensation. I applied heat which resulted in a network of redness in that area but no ral relief. After taking 2 neurophen tablets the pain eased, but I am averse to taking painkillers unless I know why...... I have had 2 lumbar microdiscectomy operastions .... the4 last one early 4 years ago .... that affected my right leg, but this is the first problem I have had with my left leg. I am 87 years old, female. Thank you
Asked On : Fri, 22 Mar 2013