Pain in the stomach radiating to back side. What is the reason?

Hello Dr. Grief, I m having a dull aching feeling on my right side, towards the front area of my stomach . The achy feeling goes through to my back area also on the right side. Any thoughts as to what may going on? Thank you.
Asked On : Wed, 12 Dec 2012

Thank you for the query.

The most common reason of such symptoms are gall stones. The pain appears on the upper right abdomen and radiates to the back. Usually it get worse after fatty or spicy foods. Sometimes such symptoms also appears with pancreas diseases.
Upper middle pain can be caused by peptic ulcer. The pain appears after 1-2 hours of the meal sometimes associated with acid reflux.
If the pain is in the lower abdomen and radiates to the back it can be urinary tract infection. Usually associated with frequent urinating and burning while urinating.
You should have abdominal ultrasound, full blood work, liver tests, amylase level, bilirubin level and urine analysis.
Gallstones can be treated with laparoscopic surgery.

Hope this will help.