Pain in the stomach. History of acid reflux. Need further investigation?

my stomach hurts a lot more frequently, i have had acid reflex since I was a baby. Sometimes days it bad others not so much. I have a family history of stomach problems that runs in my family. Never been diagnosed. I frequently use the bathroom and often have wet farts and discharge when I use the restroom. It also seems like I have to pass gas a lot more.
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013
Jun 2015
Hello dear...
The symptoms as mentioned by you suggest that you might be having Gastro esophageal reflux disease, which is caused by the reflux of acid from stomach to esophagus due to relaxation of the sphincter at the lower part of esophagus.
Medical management consist of taking Proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole, Pantoprazole,etc. (which prevent acid formation in stomach)
Metoclopramide can also be used but it has some side effects on long term usage.
Surgical treatment includes Fundoplication, in which the upper part of the stomach is wrapped around the lower esophageal sphincter to strengthen the sphincter and prevent acid reflux
Also avoid consuming irritating substances such as acidic & rich foods, caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol.
Try to sleep on the left side, or with your upper body raised.
If symptoms still persist, it will be better to consult a Gastroenterologist.
There is no need to will be fine.
Wish you a good health & speedy recovery.
Thanks & Take care

General Surgeon Dr. Grzegorz Stanko's  Response

Thank you for the query.

You definitely should have it checked. Acid reflux symptoms can be caused by increased stomach acid secretion due to Helicobacter Pylori infection, peptic ulcers or even stomach cancer. That is why you should have upper GI endoscopy performed. Moreover, if H.Pylori infection is present, antibiotics can release you from your acid reflux permanently.
You should visit gastroenterologist and have also diagnostics for your wet farts. It can be caused by severe bacterial infection, constipations, inflammatory bowels disease, pancreas disease and many more. Full blood work, liver tests, amylase, urine analysis and abdominal ultrasound seems advisable as well as stool tests.

Hope this will help.