Pain in the sternum. Pain while breathing. Have smoking addiction. Concerned

The other morning I awoke to sharp pains to sternum and hurt to breathe.I was treating what I thought may have been indigestion with tums.throughout the day I had two reoccurences.the first of the two was identical with the first and the second was shooting pains in the back of my neck with pains when I breathed deeply all of a sudden it stopped and next morning I feel discomfort breathing deeply and minute pain in neck still any ideas on what this may be keep in mind I am a smoker
Asked On : Fri, 19 Apr 2013
Hi ,

Retrosternal pains can be due to variety of reasons -
Gastro esophageal reflux ( Indigestion)
Pulmonary or the lesions in the lungs can lead to pleuritis or swelling

It is very hard to say what exactly is the cause in your case, as you smoke ,chances of indigestion or gastro esophageal reflux are very high.

I would advise you to consult a doctor to find out the exact cause.