Pain in the shoulder blade radiating to armpit after workout, consistent throbbing in chest, using hot fomentation. Treatment required?

My husband was recently working out and after he was done, had pain in his left shoulder blade that radiated to his shoulder, armpit, chest . He is in excellent health and works out often, so we ruled out his heart and assumed it was just a pulled muscle. It has been 3 days and now the pain is more in his chest/pectoral area and is sometimes throbbing or sharp pain, but has been a consistent pain that has kept him from doing much the last few days. Is this most likely a pulled muscle that will go away with time or something we should take him to a physician for? We have been applying heat in the evenings, but he does not like to medicate, so is not taking any anti-inflammatory meds.
Asked On : Sun, 30 Sep 2012