Pain in the lower back. Diagnosed with degenerative disease. Epidural injection suggested. Painful?

I m experiencing pain in the lower back and hurts to walk and stand. I had an appointment this morning with an orthopedic dr and he took x-rays. The disc between thr 4th and 5th lumbar is pretty much just a think line now. I was diagnosed with degenerative disease in the lower back about 10 years ago after an MRI. I will be doing another MRI after pre-authorization with insurance company. Dr. talked today about a possible epidural injection. Is this painful? Will this take care of the pain or will I need other injections down the road?
Asked On : Tue, 26 Feb 2013