Pain in the lower abdomen and pelvic area. Could this be PMS?

I have lower abdominal pain . Around my pelvic area more at my right side. I am also having headaches and random back pain and tender breasts, on and off.. My upper legs hurt too...It looks like PMS as I should be having my period anytime now. Last month I had it at the 11th. Could there be any other reason? It s the first time these symptoms Are occuring. Especially the pain pain in the abdomen
Asked On : Wed, 13 Mar 2013
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

Most likely what are experiencing might be symptoms of PMS. It should get better in 2-3 days, once you get your periods.

I'm assuming you don't have any other symptoms like vomiting , or high grade fever, which if present might point to some other pathology.

Meanwhile you might want to take a meftal spas tablet for symptomatic pain relief.
Drink warm water at regular intervals.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

General Surgeon Dr. Grzegorz Stanko's  Response

Thank you for the query.

Lower abdominal pain is very nonspecific symptom and can appear with many conditions.
Yes, it can be PMS, however it can also indicate pregnancy. Moreover, lower abdominal pain can be caused by urinary tract infection, urinary tract stones, ovarian cyst, uterine infection, inguinal hernia.
Back pain and headaches can be as a result of spine disc herniation or back muscle pain.

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have physical examination first. Some basic tests should be performed: blood work, CRP, urine analysis, abdominal ultrasound and pregnancy test. Gynecologist consult seems advisable as well.

Hope this will help.