Pain in the leg after putting rod through surgery. On pain killers. Is anything serious?

I had a rod and screws put in my leg 3 years ago. I'm always have pain. It feel like it may be muscle or tissue pain, it's feels warm, heavy, aches, it is so much worse at night when I wanna go to sleep it takes me 5-6 hrs to fall asleep and then I get a really achey feeling that wakes me up. I have to stretch it, sometimes it makes me wanna just cut it off.. I just wanna sleep. I have been to the ER many times, as I don't have insurance and no other doctor will see me, they have done x-rays and tells me to go home and rest, they do send me home with pain pills, and that helps for awhile, but I swear there has to be something more serious with this pain. What do I do??
Asked On : Wed, 24 Apr 2013