Pain in the esophagus or upper chest after deep breath. Pressure from lungs. Relieve pain?

I experience pain in the esophagus or upper chest (where chest and neck meet) after extensive and repetitive deep breaths. This has been happening my whole life but doesn t happen every time I take these kind of deep breaths. It seems to only happen when I find myself taking deep breaths after intense exercise like running long distance, which I rarely ever do. Or if I just want to increase the amount of time I can hold my breath, again which I rarely ever do. The pain is pretty severe, the day after I was involved with these activities. The pain is intense making it hard to take deep breaths again without it hurting around my esophagus, where the esophagus and upper breast bone are (it s localized in that one area about the size of a dime). When I lay down, the pain increases with the pressure possibly caused from my lungs lying on the esophagus? I can put my finger on the spot of pain to relieve it temporarily while standing and breathing ). What can I do to relieve or stop this pain immediately or faster than the normal time it takes to heal? It usually takes around 3-5 days to completely go away, only if I don t take any deep breaths in that time. By deep breaths I mean, just deep from normal breathing such as doing with a sigh of relief. If I do take any deep breaths, it takes even longer to stop hurting and go away. Thank you, Kevin S.
Asked On : Sat, 9 Jun 2012