Pain in the ear and neck, swollen lymph node behind the ear. Pain getting worse on smoking. Cancer chances or allergy?

for about 2 years now I have been having pain in my right ear sometimes I get a swollen lymph node right behind my ear and pain in neck but it only happens on the right side. it comes and goes. if I smoke cigarettes the pain gets worse or listen to my headphones sometimes the noise makes the ear pain worse.I have been to the dr and they suspect that it is due to my allergies but I havent had any thourough testing or havent seen a specialist. I was concerned that it could be linked to cancer since I have smoked cigarettes in the past but I really dont have any other of the common symptoms of throat cancer other then the swollen lymph nodes that comes every now and again and the ear pain. I do seem to have a constant drainage of mucus . I live in city that has alot of trees and alot of people as well as myself here complain about constant allergies.Any suggestions?
Asked On : Mon, 1 Apr 2013