Pain in the chest wall, suggested because of broken cartilage, coughing bloody mucous, have been a smoker. COPD?

Hello. I recently had major pain in my left chest wall and was terribly difficult and painful tobreath and/or move. I rushed to the hospital 2 days ago in extream pain. The doctors took blood samples to check for clots i assume and did a xray of my chest from the front and from the side. The doctor told me my blood came back fine and says that he suggests the pain and problem is cartilage broken in my ribs, though i cannot remember injuring myself in that area in anyway. I am not only unsatisfied with the doctors diagnosis, I am also unsure of his methods of finding. I have been looking on the internet and my symptoms match many different possible problems in which this doctor did not even check for, or did not do certain tests which web sites say must be done. I had not known at the time, but after coming home I have began to cough up bloody mucus . I have also been a smoker for 12 years and am 28 years old. I am not going to just dismiss these possibilites: Pulonary emolism and the like; COPD etc... Please help.
Asked On : Sat, 3 Nov 2012