Pain in the buttocks. MRI showing disc degenerative disease. Tried steroid and neurontin. Will surgery help?

I am hving bilat lower buttock pain. Increase with lying down. Feels better when walking. I had a mri which showed a lot of dengerative disease. I am a nurse. But at the l5 level it is showing encrouchment of the nerve where I had surgury before. Can surgury help the buttock pain? I have tried the steroid , neurontin without effect. Forget the pain meds those aren t the answer. My doctor said that I will have to live with the pain. OMG I hope not
Asked On : Mon, 15 Oct 2012