Pain in the back while breathing after a car accident. On pain medication. What are the chances of broken ribs?

My son was rear-ended Friday. He was at a stop light and someone hit the person that was stopped behind him, causing that person to hit him and push him into the intersection some. He was wearing a seatbelt. We ve been to the doctor because his back is hurting. They said it was normal and will take some time and gave him some muscle relaxants and pain meds. Today, he took a deep breath and his left ribs hurt really bad, and hurt every time he tries now. I asked if they hurt when he took a deep breath before, and he said he hasn t taken a deep breath. Could his ribs be cracked?
Asked On : Fri, 18 Jan 2013