Pain in the arm, neck and armpit, aggravates on sitting and lying. MRI showed part of the disc pressing against a spinal nerve. Surgery required?

I had an mri which shows that a part of a disc has broken off and is pressing on a nerve in my spine , the pain i have is my left arm and left side of neck and the worst pain is in my left armpit, i am seeing a neurosurgeon in two weeks and i wanted to know what i might need to have done (ie. surgery) or if i would need anything done, the pain is at its worst when i am sitting, driving or in bed at night
Asked On : Tue, 24 Jul 2012