Pain in the Achilles tendon while jumping and climbing stairs. How long will it take to heal?

I injured I strongly believe to be my Achilles Tendon atleast 6 months ago while playing football. I still am able to walk, etc. play sports but not near 100% (limited jumping/abilities). I experience pain in the tendon when I do try to jump very high, and kind of when I walk on stairs or move it in weird positions. I feel I ve been limited for a while, and it doesn t seem to be healing any better on it s own. I haven t seen a Dr. because I don t currently have insurance. I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestion or information of how these things heal or if I am screwed. I really like sports and fitness and feel down because I m limited.
Asked On : Fri, 22 Mar 2013