1. Inflammation in spine and both hips with respiratory problem indicates that your husband is suffering from sero-negative spondyloarthropathy
- ? Ankylosing spondylitis
2. Ankylosing spondylitis if not controlled can lead to respiratory difficulty secondarily due to stiffness
of spine and ribs which prevents the lung to get expanded,
3. These are auto-immune disorders and they also affect the lung directly,
4. Even though these auto-immune conditions cannot be cured, surely their progression can be halted. But in your case, it seems the disease has already started affecting his lungs. Sleep deprivation
is again due to lack of oxygen
for which your husband is putting extra effort using his neck/ abdominal muscles consciously to maintain his oxygen levels.
5. Early treatment with recent novel medications for such auto-immune diseases helps avoiding such complications and lead a near normal life.