Pain in right hand around middle knuckle, swollen, bruised, weakness when gripping. What is this ?

about 6 months ago i started to experience pain in my right hand around the middle knuckle- but more the area between the pointer and middle finger from the base of the finger to the middle of the top of my hand. its often swollen and i noticed a bruise on the top of my hand in that area today. i had an xray when the pain started and they saw nothing. it does not seem to be improving although definitely gets irritated upon use, unfortunately it being my right hand there is not much i can do to limit the use. i experience weakness when gripping lifting turning with the hand and there is sharp pain in between the two knuckles that stretches into the hand. i dont know if it could be tendinitis or maybe early signs of carpel tunnel. i do have some other joint issues but nothing ever like this and no pain anywhere else although the joints are worn down. what could this be?
Asked On : Mon, 15 Oct 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Your finger joints pain could be due to Rheumatoid arthritis (RA), systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus), psoriatic arthritis, osteoarthritis (OA), Infectious arthritis or crystal deposition arthritis.
To pinpoint the diagnosis, complete physical examination and investigations like complete blood counts, ESR, RA factor, CRP, serum uric acid, serum creatinine, X-ray and MRI joints from a rheumatologist/ orthopaedician are needed.
You can take Vit.D and calcium supplements. Pain killers like Indomethacin 25mg can be taken to reduce stiffness and pain. Routine physical activity is always advised as this will prevent stiffness from aggravating.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.