Pain in pelvic area, possibility of endo, taking lupron. Partial hysterectomy done earlier. Correct medication?

I am a 30 year old women who is faced with the possibility of endo, again. in 2010 I had a partial hysterectomy due to stage 4 endo. I still have both my ovaries. two years ago the pain in my pelvic area came back. I just seen a Gyno this week and he as recommended taking Lupron (3.75mg dose) once a month for the next two months to see if it is endo that has come back. I am very concerned about the information I have found about Lupron. I am wondering if there is any other way to tell if the endo has come back or if its just scar tissue or other issues causing the pain. in your opinion are the high risks of Lupron a good way of diagnosing something that has not been confirmed. thank you for your time in reading my concerns.
Tanya
Asked On : Wed, 16 Oct 2013
Mar 2014
Hi Tanya,

Thanks for using.
Your concern is relevant as the drug is indeed not a simple regular over the counter medication and it does have some adverse effects.

The best way to confirm if the endometriosis is recurring or it is the adhesions that are causing pain - do a laproscopy. With this, the doctor can actually see with his eyes if it is an adhesion or endo nodule and it can be excised during the procedure.
The only problem is that the procedure becomes slightly difficult after surgery for a stage four endometriosis as the adhesions make it slightly difficult. However, if you can get to the doctor who performed the surgery, he will be aware as to where exactly the disease was and may be able to decrease the operative risk as he will know which place has least chances of having an adhesion.
This is probably the reason for lupron prescription. A two month therapy does not cause much of adverse effects while it may help in guiding towards a diagnosis.
So, I suggest that you undergo an ultrasound examination of the abdomen and pelvis to see if any other new problem like an ovarian cyst has come up. If it is negative, take two months lupron. If symptoms still persist a laproscopy is the next course.

Hope this helped you, feel free to ask more and stop worrying as there is always a way out.
Have a good day and thank you.