Pain in neck, back and skull followed by tingling in facial area. What happened?

Hello, I am a 34yo male, non smoker, occasional beer drinker in good general health. About 2 weeks ago I was talking on phone (cradled between left ear and shoulder) and got this terrible pain that shot from my neck on the left side pf my back upwards towards the top of my skull . Felt as if I was stabbed. Lasted about 2 mins, area warm and followed by tingling of left facial area. Since then my face has had occasional tingling and I noticed a knot about thumb sized about an inch behind my ear and an inch below the mastoid process on left side. Its hard, painless, immovable. I am left handed, talk on phone on left side and type on computer at work all day. My be me worried about nothing but a knotted muscle but everything I try to research online points to cysts or tumors eventually. I do have periodic tension headaches but are usually concentrated to my right side of my neck and head.
Asked On : Wed, 26 Dec 2012