Pain in lower back, hips, buttocks. Using meloxicam. Ultrasound shows bulging herniated discs. Pain relief?

Hi , I am 65 years old and I have been suffering from lower back pain for several years. I am on pain medication (meloxicam) which just dulls the pain. I found that I have severe pain in my hips , back and buttocks . My doctor checked for cancer but this was negative. The pain is now constant and walking or sitting is now very painful. I have seen a doctor in the US also who said that I have bulging, herniated disc in the L5 and L4. Please advise of what I can do to relieve my pain without surgery. Thank you.
Asked On : Fri, 9 Nov 2012