Pain in lower back and thigh. MRI shows herniation, annular tear. Surgery required?

Hi , I am having pain in my lower back and lower thigh. I did MRI for lower area and the report says I have broad based herniation at L5-S1 with posterocentral annular tear causing mild impingement on thecal sac and bilateral adjacent nerve roots My doctor (physician) has asked me to concern a surgeon but I am afraid to go.. Do I have to go for surgery ?? How severe is this thing ? what precautions should I take and what could be the reason for this ?
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013