Pain in leg and arm. Tested positive to whooping cough. Feeling weak. Could it be arthritis?

My father has been complaining of leg and arm pain for sometime now and his GP has advised him all his blood test came back normal other then the fact he tested positive to whooping cough . Most recently the pain he is complaining about in his arm also has weakness atttached to it. He states he is unable to lift his arms out to his side and hold them, lift objects he normally would, hold his arms above his head. He feels it could be arthitis as he cant sleep due to the aches and pains. I fear it could be more. He is off to his GP on Friday. I think he needs to be refered to a specialist- ? neurologist . Can you advise what i should recoomend he ask his GP for in regards to tests and referrals?
Asked On : Sat, 14 Jul 2012