Pain in left thumb, diagnosed as a bone bruise, feel pin and needle sensation when rubbed. What to do ?

I m 6 1 235 lb white male, 37 years old. Have had pain in my left thumb for literally decades, as a result of athletics. Diagnosed as a bone bruise in 1990. However, my left thumb(the pad area, DIP joint ) never regained a normal feel. When I rub the area I get a pins and needles feeling, not excruciating pain, but certainly not pleasant. I can t even put it under running water without this sensation. Nothing serious, I ve dealt with it for 23 years+, just wondering if anyone had more definitive answers. Thanks.
Asked On : Fri, 1 Mar 2013