Pain in left side after quitting smoking. Previous lung x-ray clear. Any ideas?

Hi, I quit smoking a few years ago. Besides the obvious reasons, I had a pain in my left side which seemed to be related to how much I smoked. I stoped and the pain went but it sometimes comes when I inhale fumes from traffic etc. I started smoking again a few weeks ago and the pain is back. If I stop smoking the pain will go in a day or two. It is an uncomfortable feeling more than a strong pain. I will stop smoking again but I would like to know what it is. About 6 years ago I had a lung xray and nothing showed up. Any ideas what this is?
Asked On : Sat, 2 Mar 2013