Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
From the given description, It is evident that you are suffering from ANTERIOR KNEE PAIN
(as your knee cap is hurting a lot).
This condition is more often seen in young athletic adults especially runners, so otherwise called as "runners knee". This condition usually in "wear & tear" of the cartilage
of the patella (knee cap bone) and ocassionally the lower end of femur (thigh bone).
The basic management protocol for this condition is as follows -
- to strengthen the Quadriceps muscle
* Avoiding "deep bending" movements of the knee
* Maintaining optimum body weight by reducing load on the joint surfaces
* Simple analgesics like acetaminophen
sulphate supplementation for atleast 3 months
* At times steroid injection into the joint will help
Clinical examination and special xray views are needed to diagnose the condition.
Hope this information is helpful. Good day