Pain in heart, chest and ribs. Should go for ECG?

Hi, I am Meagan and I am twelve years old. Heart conditions run throughout my family. I have been feeling some pain in my heart and throughout my chest and ribs. My doctor says that this is normal and that there is really nothing that we can do about it. My mother, whom has a heart condition, is very concerned about me having a heart condition. She feels that I should get an EKG . I am really scared and nervous. I have no idea what an EKG is or why I need it? My grandfather died of a heart attack and I don t want to die of a heart attack but I just don t seem to understand why I should get an EKG?
Asked On : Mon, 16 Apr 2012
hello megancassidycoyle,
heart disease if its congenital like rheumatic disease- mitral stenosis, mitral regurgitation,, aortic stenosis, aortic regurgitation- compilants of dysponea on exeration, palpitation orthoponea,if any of them present then need- ECG,ECHOcardiogram, heart attack usually occur in after 40 years in ischemic heart disease , for this condition advice- regular excercise, avoid overweight, avoid high cholestrol diet like-butter, cheese, nonvegetable food -meats,chicken, egg- yellow part, fish can take in moderate amount,also avoid- stress, screening after 35 years for heart attack by - ECG,Echocardiogram, also monter cholestrol level particular LDL if its raised then take medication - HMGcoreducatase, ezetime, nictonic acid , tablets -Aspirin also reduce sudden death from heart attack ,hope my advice is useful to you, thank you.