Pain in head, sudden attacks. Any ideas?

i have been experiencing for the past two days random sharp head pains on the right side of my head, about 2 inches above my ear. They are not like any type of headache I have ever experienced before. It just like a sudden cramping contraction type of pain and it will last for about 15 seconds and then subside and then come back randomly again anywhere from 1 minute later the pain is about moderate, but its very alarming to me. any ideas what this could be please
Asked On : Sun, 10 Feb 2013
Neurologist 's  Response
Dear patient

It would be very useful to know your age and gender. This kind of temporal pains in young age females is suggestive of trigeminal cephalagias. In older age group temporal artertitis i.e. inflammation of arteries is likely. I would sincerely advise to consult physician to look for local tenderness. Blood test such as ESR is helpful.