Pain in ears, have grommets to try and help with equalization of pressure, still cant pop. How to stop the pain ?

Hi, I have grommets (fitted a month ago) to try and help with equalisation of pressure as I can t pop my ears. My ears are still causing me a lot of pain (even waking me up some nights) and I still can t pop them. I know I shouldn t, but I keep putting in cotton buds to twirl in my ears and this eases the pain for a few hours. What can I do try and stop the pain?! As far as I know, I have absolutely no wax in my ears. Many thanks for your help.
Asked On : Sun, 10 Feb 2013
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

Anytime tube is inserted inside of the ears it will take at least one to three months for the dull pain to go away and you should definitely wait till then.

Meanwhile do not allow water to enter inside the ear canal
Also you know that you should not use the cotton buds but still are using it. Since you are getting some relief on using them it is clear that the feeling of pain is more functional so give some time and stop buds completely.

take care of your ears

Dr Sriram Nathan