Pain in ears, diagnosed as water behind eardrum, swelling, bleeding. Surgery prescribed. Alternative solution?

My friend was having some pain in her ear n when she visited a doctor( ent ) she told her that she has water behind her eardrum nd a swelling there which had once caused bleeding. The doc has given her 5 day medicine saying if there is no imp with the medicines the water will have to be taken out by making a hole in the eardrum. She is very much scared after hearing this. Plz tell me if there is a slotion to it without any type of surgery
Asked On : Tue, 12 Mar 2013