Pain in chest, wearing nicotine patch, heavy smoker, cough, copd

My 28 year old soninlaw is having pain in his left chest/heart area..he has experienced this same type of pain a few months ago when he was consuming a lot of 5 hr. energy drinks..he has been wearing an over the counter nicotine patch for a few days..do you think the nicotine could be causing this? He has been a heavy smoker for about 10 years..he also has a cough..as long as I have known him..about a year and a half..he has been told he has copd also
Asked On : Thu, 10 Oct 2013