Pain in calf muscles, leg stiffness. History of smoking. Heart attack risks while running?

i stopped smoking 3 months ago and took up jogging ive slowly got better and further than i have ever before but now the back of my legs hurt even wen ive rested for over a week as soon as i run it feels like the inside of my muscles are going to go solid and burst i saw my doctor and he said i was stupid for running as im not getting any younger im 43 and ive smoked for 32 yrs so my arteries are hard and if i carry on i could cause myself to have a heart attack is he right all i want to do is run and stop smoking i enjoy jogging and it keeps me calm i feel if i stop jogging i will go back to cigarettes
Asked On : Sun, 29 Jul 2012