Pain in big toe after bunion surgery. Done deep tissue massage. Can pin be removed?

I had bunion surgery on April 24 2013. A internal pin was placed at base of big toe/ which is traverse/ across in direction. Also hammertoe correction of second toe w/ removable pin & a Taylor bunion on the little toe side with a fusion of the joint. These two toes had pins removed at six weeks & I started physical therapy as soon as pins were removed. I am still having a lot of pain in the big toe/ bunion area...top of toe, bottom of toe and side. Still hurts when I roll my foot when walking & when I stand for longer periods. I have been having deep tissue massage for weeks now & don't seem to be getting better. My orthopedic surgeon said give it 4 to 6mths. I'm wondering if this internal pin is the cause so much soreness( it is not swelling). The hammertoe & Taylor's bunion areas are not sore at all. Can I have this pin removed?
Asked On : Sun, 13 Oct 2013