Pain in ankle when lifting weights in gym. What is the problem?

I have pain when I lift weights at the gym (squats and deadlifts) in the ankle area when I lean on my right heel or bend my ankle outwards (with the bottom of my feet pointing away from my body). What does the problem sound like, how can I fix it, and might it be because my knees should be above my feet (I think I might be bending my knees in which might put pressure on the ankle) or because I wear tennis shoes? Also, I m 18 years old, 142 pounds, healthy, and my family has few health problems (type 2 diabetes for my grandmothers and high blood pressure ).
Asked On : Thu, 11 Oct 2012