Pain during shoulder surgery.

I am preparing for shoulder surgery arthroscopy and I am worried about pain and just pretty anxious about the whole thing in general.
Asked On : Mon, 9 Nov 2009
Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist 's  Response
It is understandable that you may be anxious. However you are likely to see the anesthesiologist before you go to the operating room who will be able to explain the options for pain relief.
The procedure is usually carried out under general anesthesia and a nerve block is used to provide good pain relief afterwards. This will last for approximately 12 to 18 hours. You will be advised to take strong pain killers before the block wears off.
Complications with this type of surgery and anesthesia are very uncommon.
I hope all goes well.
Dr K A Pottinger,
Ask your anesthesiologist for an intescalene block. It's an injection of numbing medicine around the nerves that go to the shoulder. Surgery can be done with the block alone, but many times we put the block in, and then do a light general anesthetic. The block gives you 12-24 hours of pain relief, which should be enough time to get you home and start on some oral pain medicines.