Pain at the base of neck extending to shoulder, forearms, numbness in legs. Habit of smoking. What is the cause?

Hey doc two months ago I began to notice a small pain at the base of my kneck as the weeks passed it gradually got worse and began to move to my shoulder and then down my arm along the outer part of the bicep and the top of the forearm at that time which was a week ago the pain had gotten so bad I went to my primary doctor who then sent me for x rays once she read the x rays she said that everything looked good structurely oh yeah the x rays were taken of the top of the spine well then this morning I wake up and the top half of my right leg is numb starting about 6 below my waist linbe and ending at the top of my knee any idea as to what is going on with me ? note I am 45 yrs of age 6ft 215 lbs I smoke a pack of figs every two to three days I drink 4 drinks a night.
Asked On : Wed, 30 Jan 2013