Pain around knee and ankle, nerve swelling and stiffness on stretching post arthroscopic surgery to fix a torn meniscus. Normal?

I had orthoscopic surgery to fix a torn meniscus . The doctor did something to a nerve durring surgery. He said I have nerve damage and that it is common and will eventually heal. Though my nerve feel worse and worse! Now it is swelling and getting stiff even though I exercise. I am afraid to stretch (my PT told me to do so for the meniscus repair) won t this hurt the healing nerve? Also, how do I know what type of nerve damage it is? Is it normal for it to get more painful as it heals? The pain is in my knee and near my ankle . It is shooting when I bend after standing, or straighten after sitting. Thanks!!!
Asked On : Thu, 19 Apr 2012