Pain and tightness in ankle post weeks of ankle injury. Had bruises and swelling post injury. What could the problem be?

I fell and severely hurt my ankle. It swelled enormously immediately and in the two weeks since the swelling has gradually gone down, but my foot and lower leg was bruised badly. Initially there wasn t much pain, but I had lots of numbness and now the numbness is gone and my ankle hurts quite a bit when I just touch it, but it doesn t hurt much to move it. It does feel very tight however and doesn t quite look right. Should I go in? What could be the problem?
Asked On : Mon, 30 Jul 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
There can be a soft tissue injury or a hairline fracture which takes time to heal. I would suggest you to take a x ray and if possible MRI to see if there is some problem inside, and then treatment can be done according to that. Till you get alll these investigation done you can take Brufen tablet, hot water fomentation and compression bandage.