Pain and tenderness near the stitches. Used burns covering that cause swelling itching and yellow spots. Removal of burns lead to swelling and redness. Is it infection?

I have 5 stitches on my back/ shoulder after a cyst removal 6 days ago. There is still an amount of pain and tenderness there and the wound seems to look red and swollen. There is no discharge or bleeding. I was given a burns covering on the 2nd day because I was getting a reaction to the adhesive of the first covering. The burns covering (clear plaster ) however made the wound sweat and appear white and swollen not to mention itchy, lots of spots with yellow heads appeared. So I removed that covering to which the spots disappeared and just used a combination of gauze with small plasters and airing the wound when I can. It is the past day or so I ve noticed it becoming red and swollen. Do you think this could be an infection or a reaction to stitches/plaster adhesive? I m due for stitch removal in 3 days but wondering if it is worth having it checked and maybe removed sooner if I m sensitive to the stitches or starting with an infection
Asked On : Sat, 9 Jun 2012
Hi ! The symptoms you have described could be both due to infection of the original operated wound, or due to allergic reactions to the adhesive plaster and gauze pieces which got secondarily infected. I would suggest you to visit your surgeon at the earliest to exclude original would infection which may be forming into an abscess in the left over space by the removal of the cyst. This will need urgent attention and you can not wait for 3 more days.
Wishing you an early recovery. Thanks.