Thanks for writing to us.
The description of your symptoms appear to be due to minor ligament or capsular tear in the knee joint after the injury
You might benefit by consulting your orthopedician who can examine you , and order a Knee MRI
to know the exact cause and provide the proper treatment for it.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your knee- use a knee brace
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. Avoid weight bearing on the knee.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal