Pain and spasms in chest area. Family history of clots in lungs. Treatment?

Hello , Today i have been experiencing spasms of pain in my upper right hand side of my chest area. I have had this condition for along time. There are times where i don t notice it and other times i do. I m wondering if it could be my right lung , as in my family there has been a history of clots / lumps in lungs however i don t know the name of this condition. Thank you for your time Cheers
Asked On : Sun, 22 Jul 2012
Pulmonologist 's  Response
The condition that yiu are talking about is called pulmonary embolism and if it is in the family then you should keep a check of your clotting profile regularly with homocysteine, factor 5, leiden factor and PT/INR
The problem right now is of spasms and not pain per se. Also there has been no breathlessness that u have mentioned hence i dont feel that it is pulmonary embolism.
To be sure you can get a Ddimer test done on your blood and if The pain and spasm right now could be just because of some electrolyte imbalane or stress or muscular pain.