Pain and inflammation after ankle injury. Physiotherapy worsened case. What can help immediately?

I slightly tweaked my ankle over 1 year ago, and have experienced persistent inflammation and pain--primarily when walking. I ve had two x-rays and an MRI, all of which have come back negative. I cannot stand for long periods as the discomfort increases in intensity. I have gone to physical therapy , and the inflammation has become worse with inactivity (I am currently recovering from shoulder surgery ). I am an active 23 year old male, and have had ankle injuries much worse than this which responded immediately to treatment. The exception with this case was that I continued to play basketball on it, as the nature of the initial injury was one that any athlete would try to walk off. I am now treating it with hydrotherapy , and alternating temperatures. I am also wearing a brace, and am meeting with a surgeon to discuss the possibility of a cortisone injection. The resilience of this injury has become ridiculous, and through research I have come up with the possibility of anything from synovitis to rheumatoid arthritis . Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Asked On : Sun, 3 Jun 2012