Pain and discomfort in knee. Worn out my cartilage? Why does it swell with burning sensation?

Hello, My name is Ruchir, and I have been having slight pain/Discomfort in right side of my Knee , which is not really painful and goes away if i start running but after any major activity when I cool down, knee swells up and gives me a burning sensation .. or it becomes really dis-comfortable if i sit on chair/Motor bike for too long .. I saw a doctor, he told me I have worn out my Knee Cartilage , is this true ?
Asked On : Fri, 28 Sep 2012