Pain above knee cap, hurting while applying pressure. Muscle strain?

I was running today and I got a sharp pain above my knee cap (not on my knee cap, right above it). It was fine when I walked home but I tried running after walking for a little and it hurt as I started running. It hurts going up the stairs and is now hurting when I walk or put pressure on it. I have been icing it, have my compression sleeve on it, and have it elevated. I don't take medicine unless it is severe pain, so no ibuprofen. do you think it is a muscle tear/strain?
Asked On : Wed, 16 Oct 2013