PICC site on arm puffy, blood clot near lungs and heart. Due to not changing dressing?

Hi, My daughter in law has been the hospital for 5 wks in which they placed a picc line in her left arm . We have been asking to have the dressing changed for days and when they did we found out it needed to be changed weekly. The nurse noticed the picc site was a little puffy and found out that the dressing was never changed since placed 5 wks ago. Now she has a blood clot near her lungs and heart . Can not changing the dressing for such a long time cause this?
Asked On : Sun, 12 Aug 2012